[gigya src=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” object width=”620″ height=”85″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” movie=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” flashvars=minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-07-23T17_35_46-07_00%3Fcolor%3Def3435%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ allowFullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” flashvars=”minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-07-23T17_35_46-07_00%3Fcolor%3Def3435%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” version=”10.0.0″ width=”620″ height=”85″]
This week on STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO, it’s another first, as we cover the inaugural SummerSlam event on July 23, 2014 at 6pm ET!
As always, myself and co-host Jeff Schiller will bring the historical background, the who’s who and copious amounts of jokes, so all you need to do is watch SummerSlam 1988 on the WWE Network before Wednesday, then RSVP and start submitting questions on the official event page.
Ways to watch/listen are below. Scroll down for more information on SummerSlam 1988.
- Right here, on this very page, live or after-the-fact, through the embedded YouTube video right up above
- Over at the official Google Hangout event page, where you can watch live and even ask questions.
- On my official YouTube channel, where the video will continue to live after the event. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE.
- The morning after, via audio-only podcast versions of the show embedded above or on iTunes, Stitcher and PodOmatic.
STRAIGHT SHOOT is completely free for you to enjoy, but to keep the show free and independent, we need your support…
- Order a “YOU’RE GETTING WORKED, BRO.” t-shirt and OVER LIKE ROVER bottle opener from the STRAIGHT SHOOT Big Cartel store.
- Become a Straight Shoot patron at Patreon, where you can help us get rid of midroll ads by pledging as little as $1/month.
- Do all your regular Amazon shopping through our Amazon Associate link.
- Sign up for a FREE audiobook and 30-day membership with Audible, where you can listen to more than 150,000 audiobooks.
- If all that sounds like too much work, consider donating via Paypal.
Despite efforts to counterprogram WrestleMania IV with Clash of the Champions and an overall pretty solid pay-per-view effort with Great American Bash 1988, by August 1988, Jim Crockett Promotions was more or less getting stomped by Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Federation. As a kind of victory lap almost, McMahon created a new PPV, and the final of the Big Four events: SummerSlam.
As always, check out the entire card (with spoilers removed, natch) below, then make sure to join us on July 23, 2014 at 6pm as we discuss it on STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO!
- The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid) vs. The Fabulous Rougeaus (Jacque & Raymond Rougeau)
- Ken Patera vs. Bad News Brown
- Junkyard Dog vs. Rick Rude with Bobby Heenan
- The Powers of Pain (The Barbarian & The Warlord) with the Baron vs. The Bolshevikes (Boris Zhukov & Nikolai Volkoff) with Slick
- Intercontinental Champion The Honky Tonk Man with Jimmy Hart vs. The Ultimate Warrior
- Don Muraco vs. Dino Bravo with Frenchy Martin
- WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition (Ax & Smash) with Mr. Fuji & Jimmy Hart vs. The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart)
- Koko B. Ware vs. Big Boss Man with Slick
- Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs. Hercules
- The Mega Powers (WWF Champion Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan) with Miss Elizabeth vs. The Mega Bucks (Ted DiBiase & Andre the Giant) with Bobby Heenan & Virgil