[gigya src=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” object width=”620″ height=”85″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” movie=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” flashvars=minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-08-20T17_10_29-07_00%3Fcolor%3D40c700%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ allowFullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” flashvars=”minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-08-20T17_10_29-07_00%3Fcolor%3D40c700%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” version=”10.0.0″ width=”620″ height=”85″]
It’s the start of a new year on STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO, and that can only mean one thing: The annual Royal Rumble! So, join us, this Wednesday, August 20, 2014, as we discuss WWE’s Royal Rumble 1989.
As always, myself and co-host Jeff Schiller will bring the historical background, the who’s who and copious amounts of jokes, so all you need to do is watch Royal Rumble 1989 on the WWE Network before Wednesday, then RSVP and start submitting questions on the official event page.
Ways to watch/listen are below. Scroll down for more information on Royal Rumble 1989.
- Right here, on this very page, live or after-the-fact, through the embedded YouTube video right up above
- Over at the official Google Hangout event page, where you can watch live and even ask questions.
- On my official YouTube channel, where the video will continue to live after the event. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE.
- The morning after, via audio-only podcast versions of the show embedded above or on iTunes, Stitcher and PodOmatic.
STRAIGHT SHOOT is completely free for you to enjoy, but to keep the show free and independent, we need your support…
- Order a STRAIGHT SHOOT t-shirt and OVER LIKE ROVER bottle opener from the STRAIGHT SHOOT Big Cartel store.
- Become a Straight Shoot patron at Patreon, where you can help us upgrade our audio quality by pledging as little as $1/month.
- Do all your regular Amazon shopping through our Amazon Associate link.
- Sign up for a FREE audiobook and 30-day membership with Audible, where you can listen to more than 150,000 audiobooks.
- If all that sounds like too much work, consider donating via Paypal.
The first – and possibly only – thing you need to know about Royal Rumble 1989 is this: Ultimate Warrior and Rick Rude have a Posedown. Excuse me: A SUPER Posedown. If you’re anything like me, that’s already sold you on the event, but if not, keep reading…
In between the inaugural Royal Rumble pay-per-view and its second year out, the entire landscape of professional wrestling had changed. While Vince McMahon no longer had to worry about his old nemesis, Jim Crockett, the now defunct Jim Crockett Promotions had been bought out and reinvigorated by a brand new foe with extraordinarily deep pockets: Ted Turner.
Turner aimed to produce the type of wrestling he knew and loved, that which played up the sport and competition-based aspects of the product, and at Starrcade 1988, he proved that there was still an audience for it – albeit perhaps not as large as what the WWE was reaching. So while the battle against JCP had been won, WWF’s battle was far from over, as they continued their strategy of promoting “sports entertainment,” ie. professional wrestling with a much higher degree of colorful characters and wacky asides, showcased on their big four PPVs, including Royal Rumble.
In addition to the aforementioned Posedown. Sorry: SUPER Posedown. The card also includes:
- The Hart Foundation & Jim Duggan vs. The Fabulous Rougeaus & Dino Bravo
- Women’s Champion Rockin’ Robin vs. Judy Martin
- Harley Race vs. King Haku
- The 30-Man Royal Rumble Match, featuring:
- Andre the Giant
- Mr. Perfect
- Ronnie Garvin
- Greg Valentine
- Jake Roberts
- Ron Bass
- Shawn Michaels
- Bushwhacker Butch
- Honky Tonk Man
- Tito Santana
- Bad News Brown
- Marty Jannetty
- Randy Savage
- Arn Anderson
- Tully Blanchard
- Hulk Hogan
- Bushwhacker Luke
- Koko B. Ware
- The Warlord
- Big Boss Man
- Brutus Beefcake
- The Red Rooster
- The Barbarian
- Big John Studd
- Rick Martel
- Ted DiBiase