[gigya src=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” object width=”620″ height=”85″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” movie=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” flashvars=”minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-04-16T20_37_28-07_00%3Fcolor%3Df495b9%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ allowFullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” flashvars=”minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-04-16T20_37_28-07_00%3Fcolor%3Df495b9%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” version=”10.0.0″ width=”620″ height=”85″]
Ready to continue the World’s Smartest Rasslin Talk Show’s curated walk through the last 30 years of professional wrestling? Then watch STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO this Wednesday, April 16 at 9pmET/6pmPT as we discuss WWE’s The Big Event.
As always, watch the show beforehand on the WWE Network, then come ready to watch Jeff Schiller and I crack wise, talk about the matches and put the entire event in context with historical background and information about the participants. RSVP and submit questions here!
Ways to watch/listen are below. Scroll down for more information on The Big Event.
- Right here, on this very page, live or after-the-fact, through the embedded YouTube video right up above
- Over at the official Google Hangout event page, where you can watch live and even ask questions for me and my special guest.
- On my official YouTube channel, where the video will continue to live after the event. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE.
- The morning after, via audio-only podcast versions of the show embedded above or on iTunes, Stitcher and PodOmatic.
STRAIGHT SHOOT is completely free for you to enjoy, but in the face of rising podcast hosting costs, we need your support! Here are three easy ways to do it:
- Sign up for a FREE audiobook and 30-day membership with Audible, where you can listen to more than 150,000 audiobooks. Even if you don’t buy anything, signing up helps support STRAIGHT SHOOT.
- Become a STRAIGHT SHOOT patron at Patreon, where you can pledge as little as $1/episode and even set a monthly cap on your donations.
- If all that sounds like too much work, consider donating via Paypal.
If you’ve never heard of WWE The Big Event, don’t worry, it’s a common thing. That’s because not only does WWE rarely mention the pay-per-view, but because it was a Canada-only event, emanating from Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium on August 18, 1986.
It was billed as “The Biggest Event of All Time,” which wasn’t too far off of a claim, seeing as it set an outdoor attendance record of 74,000, which held until the following spring’s WrestleMania III. The simple existence of the pay-per-view – not to mention its colossal live attendance numbers – is a clear indication of the growing power of WWE and Vince McMahon, as they begin producing double the amount of pay-per-views as their southern competitors, and even branched out into the Great White North.
Matches from the card (minus spoilers, natch) are listed below:
- The Killer Bees (Jim Brunzell & B. Brian Blair) vs. Jimmy Jack Funk & Hoss Funk with Jimmy Hart
- Haku vs. The Magnificent Muraco with Mr. Fuji
- Tony Garea vs. Ted Arcidi
- The Junkyard Dog vs. Adrian Adonis with Jimmy Hart
- Mike Sharpe vs. Dick Slater
- Lou Albano & The Machines (Super Machine & Big Machine) with Giant Machine vs. Bobby Heenan, King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd
- Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts in a Snake Pit Match
- Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules Hernandez
- The Fabulous Rougeaus (Jacques & Raymond) vs. The Dream Team (Greg “The Hammer” Valentine & Brutus Beefcake)
- Pedro Morales vs. King Harley Race
- WWE Champion Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff with Bobby Heenan