[gigya src=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” object width=”620″ height=”85″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” movie=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” flashvars=minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-10-08T17_15_47-07_00%3Fcolor%3Df8ae06%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ allowFullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” flashvars=”minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-10-08T17_15_47-07_00%3Fcolor%3Df8ae06%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” version=”10.0.0″ width=”620″ height=”85″]
After a few episodes spent with the venerable National Wrestling Alliance, we’re ready to head back up to New York, or more specifically, East Rutherford, New Jersey. Join us as STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO covers WWF SummerSlam 1989 this Wednesday, October 8, 2014!
As always, we’ll bring the historical background, the who’s who and copious amounts of jokes, so all you need to do is watch SummerSlam 1989: Feel the Heat! on the WWE Network before Wednesday, then RSVP on the official event page.
Ways to watch/listen are below. Scroll down for more information on SummerSlam 1989: Feel the Heat!
- Right here, on this very page, live or after-the-fact, through the embedded YouTube video right up above
- Over at the official Google Hangout event page, where you can watch live and even ask questions.
- On my official YouTube channel, where the video will continue to live after the event. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE.
- The morning after, via audio-only podcast versions of the show embedded above or on iTunes, Stitcher and PodOmatic.
STRAIGHT SHOOT is completely free for you to enjoy, but to keep the show free and independent, we need your support…
- Order a STRAIGHT SHOOT t-shirt and OVER LIKE ROVER bottle opener from the STRAIGHT SHOOT Big Cartel store.
- Become a Straight Shoot patron at Patreon, where you can help us upgrade our audio quality by pledging as little as $1/month.
- Do all your regular Amazon shopping through our Amazon Associate link.
- Sign up for a FREE audiobook and 30-day membership with Audible, where you can listen to more than 150,000 audiobooks.
- If all that sounds like too much work, consider donating via Paypal.
For the second-ever SummerSlam pay-per-view, WWF returned to their New York/New Jersey homebase, holding the event in the Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey. As covered on the WrestleMania V episode of STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO, Hulk Hogan successfully recaptured the WWF Championship from his former friend and ally “Macho Man” Randy Savage. But that wasn’t the end of their feud, as Savage recruited Zeus, the antagonist from Hogan’s movie No Holds Barred, to help him feud with Hogan and his real-life bro, Brutus Beefcake, the newly minted Mega-Maniacs.
The card for SummerSlam 1989 stands in stark contrast to that of the NWA/WCW events proceeding it. With matches like the tag team main event, Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect vs. The Red Rooster and Jim Duggan & Demolition vs. Andre the Giant & The Twin Towers, the promotion was focusing more on flash and gimmick than solid fundamental wrestling, and the approach was paying off.
That’s not to say that WWF wasn’t also taking cues from their southern competitors, however, as the card also featured former Horsemen Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard, as well as Dusty Rhodes, who had returned to the Northeastern promotion for the first time since the mid-1970s, follow his ousting as booker of JCP/WCW.
Check out the entire card with, as always, spoilers removed, below:
- The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart) vs. The Brain Busters (Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard)
- Dusty Rhodes vs. The Honky Tonk Man
- The Red Rooster vs. Mr. Perfect
- Tito Santana & The Rockers vs. Rick Martel & The Fabulous Rougeaus
- Intercontinental Champion Rick Rude vs. The Ultimate Warrior
- Jim Duggan & Demolition vs. Andre the Giant & The Twin Towers
- Hercules vs. Greg Valentine
- Jimmy Snuka vs. Ted DiBiase
- Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake vs. Randy Savage & Zeus