[gigya src=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” object width=”620″ height=”85″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” movie=”http://straightshoot.podomatic.com/swf/joeplayer_v20a.swf” flashvars=minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-10-15T17_34_29-07_00%3Fcolor%3Df8ae06%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ allowFullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” flashvars=”minicast=false&jsonLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fstraightshoot.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2Fembed_params%2F2014-10-15T17_34_29-07_00%3Fcolor%3Df8ae06%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26facebook%3Dtrue%26height%3D85%26minicast%3Dfalse%26objembed%3D1%26width%3D620″ wmode=”transparent” menu=”false” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” version=”10.0.0″ width=”620″ height=”85″]
Finally, STRAIGHT SHOOT RETRO makes its way to one of WCW’s most beloved pay-per-view series: Halloween Havoc. This Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 6pmET watch as The World’s Smartest Rasslin Show talks about WCW Halloween Havoc 1989: Settle the Score!
As always, we’ll bring the historical background, the who’s who and copious amounts of jokes, so all you need to do is watch Halloween Havoc 1989: Settle the Score on the WWE Network before Wednesday, then RSVP on the official event page.
Ways to watch/listen are below. Scroll down for more information on SummerSlam 1989: Feel the Heat!
- Right here, on this very page, live or after-the-fact, through the embedded YouTube video right up above
- Over at the official Google Hangout event page, where you can watch live and even ask questions.
- On my official YouTube channel, where the video will continue to live after the event. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE.
- The morning after, via audio-only podcast versions of the show embedded above or on iTunes, Stitcher and PodOmatic.
STRAIGHT SHOOT is completely free for you to enjoy, but to keep the show free and independent, we need your support…
- Order a STRAIGHT SHOOT t-shirt and OVER LIKE ROVER bottle opener from the STRAIGHT SHOOT Big Cartel store.
- Become a Straight Shoot patron at Patreon, where you can help us upgrade our audio quality by pledging as little as $1/month.
- Do all your regular Amazon shopping through our Amazon Associate link.
- Sign up for a FREE audiobook and 30-day membership with Audible, where you can listen to more than 150,000 audiobooks.
- If all that sounds like too much work, consider donating via Paypal.
By October of 1989, WWF was still kicking ass all over the place, but its southern competitor was making big strides as it continued the shift toward identifying its events, not as relics of the stodgy old NWA, but of the sleeker, newer WCW. This also came with an influx of new stars, including Sting, Great Muta, the Steiners, Sid Vicious, Brian Pillman and many others seen on the first-ever Halloween Havoc.
During this period, Jim Herd was already ostensibly running WCW for Ted Turner, but the actual booking of the promotion was handled by a committee including Kevin Sullivan, Jim Ross, Jim Cornette, Eddie Gilbert and the group’s head, NWA Champion Ric Flair. In short order, Herd would make his presence more known as the promotion slid more and more into their version of the gimmickry that was bringing WWF so much success, but for now, it remained a largely wrestling-centric promotion.
Check out the full card (with spoilers removed) below:
- Tom Zenk vs. Mike Rotunda
- The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane) & Steve Williams vs. The Samoan Swat Team (Samu, Fatu & The Samoan Savage)
- Tommy Rich vs. The Cuban Assassin
- NWA World Tag Team Champions The Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin) vs. The Dynamic Dudes (Shane Douglas & Johnny Ace)
- The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott) vs. Doom (Ron Simmons & Butch Reed)
- NWA United States Champion Lex Luger vs. Brian Pillman
- The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) vs. The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious & Danny Spivey)
- Ric Flair & Sting vs. The Great Muta & Terry Funk in a Thundercage Match